Sharon Otieno murder: Ex-Governor Obado, two co-accused to know their fate today.

Written by on July 23, 2026

Former Migori Governor Okoth Obado and his two co-accused will on Thursday know whether they will be convicted or acquitted in the high-profile murder case of university student Sharon Otieno and her unborn child.

The High Court at the Milimani Law Courts is set to deliver judgment in the case against Obado, his former personal assistant Michael Oyamo and former Migori County clerk Caspal Obiero, nearly eight years after they were charged with murder in 2018.

The three were previously placed on their defence after the court ruled that the prosecution had established a prima facie case requiring them to answer to the charges.

Ahead of the judgment, the Federation of Women Lawyers in Kenya (FIDA-Kenya), which has been holding a watching brief for Sharon’s family, said it remains hopeful that the court’s decision will be guided by the evidence presented during the trial and the law.

“FIDA-Kenya is watching brief for Sharon Otieno’s family and has continued to stand with them throughout the judicial process as they seek justice for the tragic loss of their daughter and her unborn child,” stated FIDA.

Sharon was abducted on September 3, 2018, before her body, alongside that of her unborn child, was discovered a day later in a thicket near Kodera Forest in Homa Bay County. The killings sparked national outrage and attracted widespread public attention.

During the trial, the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (ODPP) called 42 prosecution witnesses, relying on witness testimony as well as electronic evidence, including SMS messages, WhatsApp conversations and mobile phone records.

According to FIDA-Kenya, the prosecution’s case included testimony from key witnesses who allegedly placed one of the accused among the people seen with Sharon during her abduction and in the period leading to her death.

The hearing stretched over several years, with the judicial process slowed by disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic and changes to court operations.

FIDA-Kenya said it has continued to support Sharon’s family throughout the proceedings as they pursue justice, adding that it has confidence in the administration of justice and will issue a further statement after the High Court delivers its judgment on Thursday.


Reader's opinions

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



Current track

Title

Artist

Background